Taste of Thame
Everyone was keen to have a stall at Taste of Thame and start talking to the public.
The stall will be about ‘A taste of thame for wildlife too’.
The event runs from 10am to 4pm on 27th May – we have a small team up for manning the stall but it would be great to have one or two others too – it will be a fun day with the Ukrainian Cake Café alongside in the Thame Town Hall.
We are hoping to have an example hedgehog feeding station which is simple to make by anyone. We may also be able to have a homemade hedgehog house too.
The stall could be inside if wet and outside if dry and sunny.
We will be producing a leaflet to give out which will talk about :
Why hedgehogs need help
What are the benefits of helping hedgehogs survive
What are the dangers to hedgehogs that could be avoided
Providing food and water (and protection)
Providing a home if needed in a garden
Why and how we connect gardens
We all agreed to register as Hedgehog Champions on https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/ and use this to measure our success going forward. We would love to encourage anyone else interested in this project to do so too.
Our goals will be :
- Increase the number of hedgehog champions registered on Hedgehog Streets
- Increase the number of hedgehog highway holes registered on Hedgehog Streets
Thame Carnival – 17th June (parade / stall)
- We agreed to discuss Thame Carnival further after Taste of Thame
- There were some great ideas for a stall at the Carnival
- Photo booth (people use their own cameras to take photos of people behind a picture with face holes or in a frame)
- Hedgehog cakes and biscuits
- Dressing up as hedgehogs (either to walk in the Carnival procession or to stand at the stall or wander around the ground)
- The feeding station and hedgehog houses
- The leaflets created for Taste of Thame
Post box covers
- It was suggested that we see if we can get knitted / crocheted post box covers as this will be a fun way to engage the public – a great example is currently on the post box next to the M&S Garage
Talk to our own neighbours – or pick a road to work on
- Everyone agreed to start talking to their neighbours in order to encourage hedgehog highways in our own roads / cul-de-sacs.
Help if needed
- Reminder : we have a couple of people who are willing to bring tools to help make highways where agreed
Date of next meeting : May 31st 7.30pm Racquets Fitness Centre bar